For the meatballs – albondigas:
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground sausage or uncooked chorizo with the casing removed
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 minced shallots – optional
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
For the broth:
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow or white onion chopped
- 1 – 16 oz – can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 large zucchinis, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar cheese ~ Omit if you are dairy free (Daiya cheese is a wonderful alternative)
- Red onions, chopped
- Green onions chopped
Homemade Albondigas Soup: Method
For the albondigas:
Combine all the meatball ingredients into a large bowl.
With your hands, form the meat mixture into some meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.
You should have about 2 dozen meatballs.
For the broth:
In a large pot, saute the onion in a little bit of oil – I use olive oil. Add the rest of the ingredients –except for the zucchini. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Gently drop the meatballs in the boiling broth one by one.
Once the soup is boiling once more, let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
Add the zucchini and cook 10 more minutes.
Before serving, make sure the seasoning is to your taste. Adjust if necessary.
Makes 6 to 10 servings or two to three OAMC meals