Wild Mushroom Turkey Gravy
December 8, 2014
Total Time: 25 min
Yield: 8 servings (about 1 2/3 cups)
Prep: Cook: 10 min 15 min
- 2 cups defatted turkey juices from turkey roasting pan or homemade turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, rinsed, stemmed and sliced 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Bring the juice to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce by half. Add the cream and cook until reduced enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 8 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, garlic, and sherry and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and almost dry, about 6 minutes
- Combine the mushrooms with reduced gravy and season with salt and pepper. Reheat, if necessary, and stir in the vinegar. Transfer to a gravy boat and keep warm until serving.
Recipe courtesy George Stella, George Stella’s Livin’ Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella-Style, Simon and Schuster, 2005