Am I a Candidate?
You may be a good candidate for Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve or Gastric Band if:
- You have a BMI greater than 40 or a BMI greater than 35 with comorbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.).
- You are 18 years of age or older.
- You have an obesity-related condition, such as type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure.
- You’ve been unable to lose weight and keep it off through traditional methods like diet and exercise.
- You’re ready to commit to a healthy, active lifestyle.
- You don’t have medical conditions that could cause serious complications during or after surgery.
- You understand the benefits as well as the bariatric surgery risks and complications so you have a full understanding of what to expect.
The following table shows examples of healthy weight, overweight and obese weight ranges for several heights.
|BMI RANGE||CATEGORIES OF OBESITY|
|18.5 – 24.9||Normal Weight|
|25 – 29.9||Overweight|
|30 – 34.9||Obesity, Class 1|
|35 – 39.5||Severe Obesity, Class 2|
|40+||Morbid Obesity, Class 3|
|5 ft 2 in (62 in)||101-136 lbs||137-163 lbs||164 lbs or more|
|5 ft 6 in (66 in)||115-154 lbs||155-185 lbs||186 lbs or more|
|5 ft 10 in (70 in)||129-173 lbs||174-208 lbs||209 lbs or more|
|6 ft 2 in (74 in)||144-194 lbs||195-233 lbs||234 lbs or more|